According to the United Nations report, it shows that: Marijuana use has increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. In a survey of health professionals in 77 countries, 42% asserted that cannabis use has increased. The non-medical use of medicinal products containing cannabis also increased over the same period.
The COVID-19 pandemic has spawned more flexible service delivery models, which in turn have led to innovation and adaptation of drug prevention and treatment services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many countries have introduced or expanded telehealth services.
Numerous new products are flooding pharmacy shelves and online malls. Gone are the days of traditional smoking methods as people increasingly turn to more discreet and convenient options. Two popular choices in this evolving landscape are dab pens and vape pens. But which one should you choose? In this blog, we’ll explore the key differences between dab pens and vape pens to help you make an informed decision that suits your preferences and needs.
What’s the Dab Pen?
Dab pens, also known as wax pens or concentrate pens, are designed for consuming cannabis concentrates, such as wax, shatter, or oil.
These devices consist of a battery, a heating chamber coil, and a mouthpiece, which vaporizes the concentrate when it comes into contact with it. Here are some things to consider if you’re thinking about getting a dab pen:
- Potency: Dab pens are known for their potency. Concentrates typically contain higher levels of THC, providing a more intense and immediate high compared to traditional flowers.
- Flavor: Many users prefer dab pens for their ability to deliver the full flavor profile of the concentrate. If you’re a connoisseur who enjoys the nuanced taste of cannabis, a dab pen might be your best bet.
- Efficiency: Dab pens are highly efficient because they vaporize the concentrate directly, minimizing wastage. You can get more out of your product compared to other consumption methods.
- Discretion: While still not completely odorless, dab pens produce less noticeable odors compared to smoking, making them a more discreet option for consuming cannabis.
What’s the Vape Pen?
The vape pen is designed for consuming cannabis oil. These pens have a similar structure to dab pens, with a battery and heating element, but instead of a concentrate chamber, they use a cartridge filled with cannabis oil.
When you activate the pen, it heats the oil, producing vapor for inhalation.
- Versatility: Vape pens are incredibly versatile because you can switch with different cannabis oils(like THC, CBD, hemp, and Distilled, etc.) by changing the cartridge. This flexibility can be a significant advantage if you like variety.
- Ease of Use: Vape pens are user-friendly and require minimal effort to set up and use. They are ideal for beginners who may find dabbing a bit intimidating.
- Portability: Vape pens are compact and portable, making them an excellent choice for on-the-go cannabis consumption. They are discreet and fit easily into pockets or bags.
- Odor Control: While vape pens do produce some odor, it’s generally less pungent than traditional smoking methods, making them suitable for discreet use.
There are two types of vape pens: disposable vape pens and rechargeable vape pens.
The disposable vape pen cannot be refilled, once the oil runs out, you have to discard it.
The rechargeable vape pen connects the THC cartridge and battery through a 510-thread cartridge. Consumers can swap between vape pen batteries and cartridges. THC cartridges can be purchased from pharmacies, and vape pen batteries are usually rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that can be recharged repeatedly.
Rechargeable vape pens are also a very popular item in the market due to their affordability, portability, and ease of use.
Similarities Between Dab Pen and Vape Pen
- Portability: Both dab pens and vape pens are compact and portable, making them convenient for on-the-go use. They can easily fit into a pocket or bag, allowing for discreet and convenient consumption.
- Battery-Powered: Both types of pens are powered by rechargeable batteries. This makes them reusable and eliminates the need for disposable batteries, reducing waste.
- Heating Element: Both pens feature a heating element that vaporizes the cannabis product. This element is usually activated with a button press or automatically when inhaling.
- Minimal Odor: Compared to smoking cannabis, both dab pens and vape pens produce less odor. While there may still be a slight cannabis aroma, it dissipates quickly and is less noticeable than traditional smoking.
- Adjustable Settings: Many dab pens and vape pens come with adjustable temperature settings. Users can customize the temperature to control the intensity of the vapor and flavor, providing a degree of flexibility in their consumption experience.
- Discreetness: Both pens offer a discreet way to consume cannabis. They don’t produce large plumes of smoke, making them less conspicuous in public settings.
- Easy to Clean: Maintaining both dab pens and vape pens is relatively simple. Regular cleaning of the heating element and mouthpiece helps ensure a smoother vaping experience.
- Rechargeable: As mentioned earlier, both types of pens are rechargeable, which is not only eco-friendly but also cost-effective in the long run, as you don’t need to constantly buy disposable devices.
Differences in substances used for dab pen and vape pen
Dab pens and vape pens are designed for different types of substances, and these differences primarily lie in the form of cannabis used in each device:
- Dab Pen:
Substance: Dab pens are used for consuming cannabis concentrates, which are highly potent extracts obtained from the cannabis plant. These concentrates can take various forms, such as wax, shatter, crumble, budder, or live resin. They are rich in cannabinoids like THC and CBD.
Preparation: To use a dab pen, you need to load a small amount of the concentrate into the heating chamber or atomizer. This usually involves handling a sticky or solid substance, which can be tricky for beginners.
Consumption Experience: Dab pens offer a highly concentrated and flavorful cannabis experience. The potency and purity of the concentrate can lead to intense effects, making them popular among experienced users.
Flavor: Dab pens are known for delivering the purest and most robust flavors of the specific cannabis concentrate being used. This makes them a favorite among connoisseurs who value the terpene profile and taste of different strains.
- Vape Pen:
Substance: Vape pens are designed for consuming cannabis oil or e-liquids. These oils are often a blend of cannabinoids, terpenes, and a carrier oil (such as propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin) to create a vaporizable liquid.
Preparation: Vape pens use pre-filled cartridges or tanks that contain cannabis oil. Users don’t need to handle sticky concentrates directly. Simply attach the cartridge, and you’re ready to vape.
Consumption Experience: Vape pens offer a more controlled and moderated cannabis experience compared to dab pens. The effects are often milder due to the dilution of the cannabis oil.
Flavor: While vape pens can provide a variety of flavors, they may not match the intensity of a dab pen’s flavor because they rely on added terpenes or flavorings.
Differences in working mode
The Dab pen converts cannabis concentrate into inhalable vapor by heating the chamber, the Dab pen has a chamber with a heating device such as a quartz core or ceramic core, you need to manually fill the concentrate into the chamber.
The vape pen uses the power of convection to heat the liquid until it evaporates, no need to manually refill the concentrate, just press the battery and enjoy.
Battery & Temperature Difference
Both types of pens are powered by batteries, the battery inside the dab pen may be more powerful and therefore bulkier
The dab pen’s operating temperature range of 300-800°F, allowing the user to make temperature adjustments for their specific concentrates to achieve the best standard of enjoyment.
Vape pens can be heated to various temperatures, usually between 350 – 600°F.
Usage count Difference
Vape pen usage times: Disposable vape pen can only be used 1-2 times, depending on how you use it and the cartridge content.
A rechargeable vape pen can be used 3-5 times after being fully charged, depending on how you use it and the cartridge content.
A dab pen can be used 5-10 times after being fully charged, depending on the length of use and the battery content of the dab pen.
What factors should you consider when choosing a dab pen or vape pen?
- Cost Considerations
Dab Pens: Dab pens can be cost-effective in the long run because they are highly efficient in extracting cannabinoids from concentrates. However, the initial cost of purchasing a good-quality dab pen and the concentrates themselves can be relatively high.
Vape Pens: Vape pens often have a lower upfront cost, especially if you’re starting with disposable vape pens. However, the cost of replacement cartridges for vape pens can add up over time, making them a potentially more expensive option in the long term.
- Health and Safety
Both dab pens and vape pens are generally considered safer alternatives to traditional smoking methods. They produce fewer harmful byproducts like tar and carbon monoxide. However, there are still some health considerations to keep in mind:
Dab Pens: Dabbing at very high temperatures can potentially produce harmful compounds. It’s crucial to use a dab pen with temperature control settings and to find the right temperature for your concentrate to minimize health risks.
Vape Pens: Quality and safety can vary between vape pen brands and cartridges. To ensure your safety, it’s important to purchase vape products from reputable sources and check for third-party lab testing to verify the contents of the cartridges.
- Maintenance and Longevity
Consider how much time and effort you’re willing to invest in maintaining your device:
Dab Pens: Dab pens are relatively low-maintenance. Cleaning them usually involves disassembling and soaking the components in isopropyl alcohol. The heating element may need occasional replacement.
Vape Pens: Vape pens are generally easy to maintain, but the frequency of maintenance can vary depending on the type of cartridge you use. Some cartridges may require more frequent cleaning, while others can be disposable.
- Environmental Impact
If you’re environmentally conscious, you might want to think about the environmental impact of your choice:
Dab Pens: Dab pens produce less waste because you primarily use concentrates stored in reusable containers. This can be a more eco-friendly option.
Vape Pens: Vape pens often involve disposable cartridges, which can contribute to more waste. Some companies offer recycling programs for vape cartridges, so you can explore eco-friendly options within the vape pen category.
Which is better, a dab pen or a vape pen?
The choice between a dab pen and a vape pen depends on your personal preferences and what you’re looking for in your cannabis consumption experience.
Neither is inherently better than the other; they serve different purposes and offer distinct advantages. Here are some factors to consider when making your decision:
- Substance Preference: Consider whether you prefer cannabis concentrates (dab pen) or cannabis oil (vape pen). If you have a preference for one type of cannabis product over the other, that may guide your choice.
- Potency: Dab pens are known for their high potency due to the concentrated nature of the extracts used. If you seek a more intense and immediate effect, a dab pen may be preferred. Vape pens offer a more controlled and milder experience.
- Flavor: Dab pens are celebrated for delivering the purest and most robust flavors of the specific cannabis concentrate being used. If you are a flavor connoisseur, a dab pen might be the way to go. Vape pens can provide various flavors, but they may not match the intensity of a dab pen’s flavor.
- Convenience: Vape pens are often considered more convenient for their pre-filled cartridges, portability, and ease of use, especially for beginners. Dab pens require more hands-on preparation and handling of concentrates.
- Portability: Both dab pens and vape pens are relatively portable and discreet, but vape pens may offer more convenience in terms of carrying multiple cartridges with different strains or flavors.
- Experience Level: Consider your level of experience with cannabis consumption. Vape pens are generally considered more beginner-friendly, while dab pens may require a bit more expertise in handling concentrates.
- Regulations: Ensure you are aware of the legal status of cannabis and its various forms in your area, as regulations can vary widely. Make sure your choice aligns with local laws.
Ultimately, neither is definitively better than the other; it’s a matter of personal preference and the type of cannabis experience you desire. Some users even enjoy both options for different occasions or moods. It’s essential to assess your priorities and make an informed decision based on your preferences and needs.